Woodilee Hospital 4686

Kirkintilloch, Scotland

Brief Description

Woodilee is a former 19th-century hospital site with derelict buildings and significant tree belts, incorporating the small designed landscape of Woodilee House.

History

The estate was held by the Fleming family from at least the 17th century until the 19th. Mineral rights were leased in the mid-19th century and a colliery operated from then until 1931. The hospital was constructed in the late-19th century and opened in 1875. There was further hospital development in the early-20th century but it closed in the 1990s. The site is currently owned by several public and private owners and there are plans to develop it for housing and community use.

Detailed Description

Tree planting is the most significant feature of the site in the local landscape. There is a narrow belt of trees along the railway to the south, but the principal woodland areas are ornamental plantings with rhododendrons to the north and west, which merge into the mixed deciduous woodland above Bothlin Burn. These woodlands contain paths which are used by the public. A few specimen trees remain on the former hospital site and especially around the former Woodilee House.
Features
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: West Lodge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Burn
  • Description: Bothlin Burn
  • Tree Avenue
  • Description: Lime avenues lining the main drive from the south-west and the drive to old Woodilee House.
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: Derelict kitchen garden with 2 metre high brick walls, associated either with Woodilee House or with the hospital.
Tree Belt
Authorities

Electoral Ward

  • Kirkintilloch Central
History

Detailed History

The original asylum buildings were designed by James Salmon of Glasgow from 1872-5 and built from stone quarried on site. A home farm was built in 1883 and at one time the hospital ran four farms. Working on these farms and in the hospital grounds was seen as part of the therapeutic process. Patients were free to wander, and laid out the grounds in work parties. The home farm closed in the 1970s but patients continued growing fruit and vegetables in the hospital gardens until the hospital closed during the 1990s.
Contact

Telephone

0131 668 8600

Official Website

Click Here

Owners

    References

    References