Glorat House 4472

Lennoxtown, Scotland

Brief Description

Glorat House lies in a block of ornamental woodland in the centre of a traditionally managed estate. There are well-maintained gardens including lawns, ponds and a walled garden with ornamental and productive planting. The estate has been held by the same family for the last 500 years.

History

The Stirling family have owned the Glorat estate since the early-16th century. The oldest part of the current house was built in about 1625. The estate landscape was developed by the mid-19th century, including gardens with lawns and a walled garden, lodges and other estate buildings, two drives and extensive tree planting.

Detailed Description

The Glorat estate is managed as a traditional estate by the same family that have lived there for over 500 years. The house and its extensive gardens lie within a triangular block of woodland and there are also various estate buildings, including cottages and lodges. The woodland and water features contribute significantly to the local landscape. Two public footpaths skirt the western and southern fringes of the estate, one of them running along the south side of Alloch Dam.
Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The house was rebuilt and enlarged in 1869.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: West Lodge
  • Tree Avenue
  • Description: An avenue of lime, sycamore and horse chestnut lining the drive to the house.
  • Dam
  • Description: Alloch Dam
  • Pond
  • Description: Two ponds in the ornamental gardens.
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: The 19th-century walled garden, which also houses ornamental areas.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
History

Detailed History

Mid-18th-century maps show Glorat House set in one corner of a rectangular block of woodland. It was not until the mid-19th century that the current layout developed.

In the mid-19th century Alloch Dam was leased out to the Kirkintilloch calico-printers, the McNabs. The dam may also have served the grain mill, Glorat Mill, the ruins of which lie on the west end of Mount Dam just south of the present estate boundary.

Period

  • Mid 19th Century
References

References