Gartshore 4467

Kirkintilloch, Scotland

Brief Description

Gartshore is an estate landscape that retains its 19th-century layout as well as many estate buildings, considerable woodland belts and some areas of grazed parkland. The former stables is now the main residence, divided into several apartments.

History

The original house on the estate dated from the 17th century and was set in a small formal landscape by the mid-18th century. In 1870 Alexander Whitelaw bought the estate and his son built a new house in about 1887. Throughout the late-19th century and into the 1930s the Whitelaw family created an estate landscape with gardens, parkland, extensive woodland and estate buildings. The house was demolished in the mid-20th century but there are still several occupied buildings on the estate, which is currently (2008) in multiple private ownership.

Detailed Description

The former Gartshore estate is well-defined by surviving tree belts and contains open areas of grazed pasture. Both these features are significant in the local landscape. The woodland is composed largely of mature mixed broadleaves with a predominance of limes along the drives.

The abandoned gardens comprise a walled garden, some overgrown yew and cypress hedges, shrubberies and a poorly-drained open area on the site of the lawn by the former house. The walled garden retains two gateways, one of which is pedimented with the dates 1681 and 1889 on either side of it. There are extensive ruined glasshouses within the area of the walled garden, including a fern room lined with weathered sandstone and limestone, with a slate shelf.

West Lodge and Wester Gartshore are designated within the Waterside and Wester Gartshore Township Protection Area.

Features
  • Doocot
  • Description: Doocot with a conical slate roof, possibly partly reconstructed in the 19th century.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: West Lodge and Gates, comprising four gate piers with ball finials.
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: Quadrangular stables now converted into a multiple residence.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Fernery [glasshouse]
  • Description: A ruined fern room in the abandoned walled garden, lined with sandstone and limestone blocks.
History

Detailed History

At its greatest extent in the 19th century the Gartshore estate included Bar Hill and the Strone plantation (these are treated as a separate entry, Bar Hill). Alexander Whitelaw, who bought the estate in 1870, exploited its mining potential and built the mining village of Twechar to the east.
References

References