Bar Hill 4408

Balloch, Scotland

Brief Description

Bar Hill is a prominent dome-shaped hill north of Kirkintilloch characterised by an estate landscape of tree belts and larger plantations, the earliest dating from the 19th century. Sections of the 2nd-century Antonine Wall survive on the hill top along with the remains of a Roman fort.

History

There was an Iron Age fort on Bar Hill in the last few hundred years B.C. represented now by terraces. The remains of the Roman Antonine Wall and fort date from 142-4 A.D. The site has seen industrial activity since the 17th century with coal mining, quarrying and the Forth and Clyde canal. Sinuous tree belts were planted in the 19th century to edge the site, followed by later coniferous plantations.

Visitor Facilities

There is open access to Bar Hill and the Roman Fort by several footpaths.

Detailed Description

Bar Hill affords especially good views from the Roman fort to the north and west towards the Campsie Fells.

The perimeter tree belts are mostly deciduous in character and retain their sinuous 19th-century outlines. Larger plantations are essentially coniferous with deciduous margins. In some cases fields in the centre of the site have been planted up, obscuring the relationship of original tree belts to the landform. The Roman fort is planted with mature sycamores.

Features
  • Ha-ha
  • Description: Ha-has enclosing 19th-century plantations.
  • Canal
  • Description: The Forth and Clyde canal forms the northern boundary of the site.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ruin
  • Description: The remains of sections of the Antonine Wall and a Roman fort.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tree Belt
  • Description: The perimeter tree belts are mostly deciduous in character.
  • Plantation
  • Description: Larger plantations are essentially coniferous with deciduous margins.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

There is open access to Bar Hill and the Roman Fort by several footpaths.

Directions

Bar Hill can be reached by a pedestrian track from the village of Twechar, about 4.5km from Kirkintilloch.
History

Detailed History

Bar Hill has been part of country estates since the 16th century. The estates have been managed for industrial interests including coal mining and quarrying and the construction of the Forth and Clyde Canal in the late-18th century.

Tree planting started in earnest in the 19th century and by the middle of the century there were extensive edging plantations. The hill also included the only pastureland in the parish at that time.

In 1870 the estate was bought by Alexander Whitelaw who extended the plantations. His son funded the excavation of the Roman remains. By 1922 there were trees planted on the site of the Roman fort itself.

The site is now in multiple public and private ownership.

Contact

Telephone

0131 668 8600

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • The Forestry Commission

References

References