Luggie Park 4579

Kirkintilloch, Scotland

Brief Description

Luggie Park is a linear park just east of the town centre of Kirkintilloch focussed on the Luggie Water. It incorporates mature woodland planting from two small 19th-century estates. The area was developed as a public park in the late-20th century and modern features include sports pitches.

History

In the 19th century Luggiebank estate was owned by the Macfarlane family. Both this estate and the neighbouring Waverley Park were insubstantial estates with small areas of parkland and woodland. The last private owner of Luggiebank House left in 1999 and the house was converted to flats with an associated mews-style development. Luggiebank Park was created during the 1980s.

Visitor Facilities

Luggie Park is a public park with open access at all times.

Detailed Description

The wooded slopes on the east bank of Luggie Water survive from small designed landscapes associated with Waverley Park and to a lesser extent with Luggiebank House. They consist largely of mature beech with some sycamore. In the valley floor there are open areas of grassland and some young plantings of quick-growing species such as willow and birch. East Dunbartonshire Council has drawn up a Master Plan to upgrade the park, which includes new cycle and horse paths.

Features
  • Flats (featured building)
  • Description: Eighteenth-century laird's house with earlier features, redeveloped as flats around 2000.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • River
  • Description: The Luggie Water
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

Luggie Park is a public park with open access at all times.
History

Detailed History

Waverley Park and Luggiebank House were strategically postioned near the Forth and Clyde Canal which forms the northern boundary of the present Luggie Park. Proposed railway routes to carry coal to transporting vessels on the canal passed through the estates and enabled the 19th-century proprietors to make income selling land to the railway companies.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
Contact

Telephone

0131 668 8600

Official Website

Click Here

Owners

  • East Dunbartonshire Council

    Tom Johnston House, Civic Way, Kirkintilloch, G66 4TJ
References

References