Peel Park, Kirkintilloch (also known as Victoria Park)4630

Glasgow, Scotland

Brief Description

Peel Park is a small public park opened in 1898 on an elevated site with significant Roman and medieval activity. Cast-iron features dating from the early-20th century include a bandstand and drinking fountain.

History

Peel Park opened as a public park in 1898. It was originally known as Victoria Park.

Visitor Facilities

Peel Park is a municipal park for general public use.

Detailed Description

Peel Park is situated on high ground with good views north to the Campsie Fells and has always had strategic significance. The line of the 2nd-century Antonine Wall runs through the park and one of the Roman forts on the wall lay close by. Peel Mound is a raised area marking the site of the medieval Kirkintilloch Castle, which was later destroyed, probably by Robert the Bruce. There is shrub planting on one side of this mound. Other than this there is no garden as such in the park, which consists of open grassy areas with paths and is distinguished by the cast-iron features and the memorial gateway.

Features
  • Bandstand
  • Description: Cast-iron bandstand restored in 2002.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Drinking Fountain
  • Description: Cast-iron fountain restored in 2002.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • War Memorial
  • Description: Arched memorial gateway, unveiled in 1925.
  • Earthwork
  • Description: Peel Mound and dry moat marking the site of a medieval castle built by the Comyn family.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Dry Moat
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

Peel Park is a municipal park for general public use.

Directions

Peel Park is in the centre of Kirkintilloch next to the Auld Kirk Museum. There are entrances to the park from Peel Brae, Camphill, and Union Street.
Contact

Telephone

0131 668 8600

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • East Dunbartonshire Council

    Tom Johnston House, Civic Way, Kirkintilloch, G66 4TJ
References

References