Kincaid (also known as Kenced)4536

Milton of Campsie, Scotland

Brief Description

The grounds associated with Kincaid House Hotel comprise lawns set within the former walled garden (now partially walled) and a belt of mature trees along the drive. These are fragments of a small designed landscape, mostly dating from the early-19th century.

History

The Kincaid family owned the estate from the 13th century to the early-20th century. The house was let to tenants from the mid-19th century, when the family moved to Lennox Castle. In the mid-18th century the house sat in the middle of a symmetrical layout of tree-lined enclosures in the form of a cross, which was gone by the early-19th century. The estate was always small and in the mid-19th century consisted of a broad tree belt along the drive, a walled garden and parkland. The property was sold by the Kincaid family in 1921 and opened as a hotel in 1951.

Features
  • Conservatory
  • Description: Modern conservatory.
  • Hotel (featured building)
  • Description: The house was rebuilt by David Hamilton in the early 19th century.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Burn
  • Description: A burn running along the drive within the tree belt.
  • Garden Wall
  • Description: The 4-metre-high west wall of the former walled garden.
  • Tree Avenue
  • Description: A belt of mature trees, both deciduous and coniferous, lining the drive.
Gate Lodge
Authorities

Electoral Ward

  • Milton
Associated People

Just one person associated to Kincaid

Contact

Telephone

0131 668 8600

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

References

References