Auld Aisle Cemetery (also known as Kirkintilloch Cemetery)4289

Kirkintilloch, Scotland

Brief Description

Auld Aisle Cemetery is a burial ground with 18th-century buildings, situated on the site of a medieval church. There are 19th- and 20th-century extensions to the graveyard, some 19th-century tree planting and a grove of pine trees in the older part of the site.

History

A church was founded on the site in the mid-12th century and was demolished in the 17th century, although the site continued as a burial ground. After a mid-19th century expansion Auld Aisle became the graveyard for Kirkintilloch. There was a further extension to the cemetery in the 20th century.

Visitor Facilities

The site is open to the public.

Detailed Description

Auld Aisle is set on land in and above the valley the Bothlin Burn to the south-east of Kirkintilloch. The oldest part of the cemetery is set on a hilltop with views over the north of Glasgow. A grove of pine trees in this part of the graveyard is a distinctive landscape feature.

There is an unusual watch-tower or gateway, probably dating from the 18th century, with a belfry reached by external stairs. Further architectural features include 19th-century stone gate piers and a wrought-iron gate which has a pedestrian gate within in.

The memorials in the cemetery date largely from the 18th and 19th centuries. The older ones especially are in poor condition, with many broken, fallen or tilting. The grove of mature pine trees in this part of the graveyard further endangers the monuments which are also obscured by rough grass.

The site, with its pathways through the 19th-century sections, has some recreational value.

Features
  • Gate Lodge
  • Description: A watch-tower type gateway with a belfry.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Piers
  • Description: Stone piers with wrought-iron gates between them which include a pedestrian gate within the frame.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The site is open to the public.
History

Detailed History

The church at Old Aisle was founded in the mid-12th century. It was demolished in the mid-17th century and a new parish church built in the town of Kirkintilloch in 1644. Burial continued at the Old Aisle site and in 1863 the site was expanded to become the burial ground for Kirkintilloch. There were further expansions in the 20th century.
Contact

Telephone

0131 668 8600

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • East Dunbartonshire Council

References

References