War Memorial Gardens, Ilford 8497

Greater London, England, Greater London

Brief Description

The memorial garden is laid out formally with rose beds in a cruciform shape, circular island beds set in the lawn, shrubbery areas, hedging and lines of lime trees. The Children's Wing was demolished after the closure of the hospital in 1993 but the neglected Memorial Hall was preserved and has since been restored. The garden features a war memorial topped by a cross with a dedication on the plinth.

History

Ilford War Memorial Committee was established in November 1918 to create a suitable memorial to the men of Ilford who had died in World War 1. Following a popular vote as to the form of war memorial, money was raised and a site purchased adjacent to the then Ilford Emergency Hospital for the Memorial Gardens, the erection of a memorial monument, and a new children's wing for the hospital to be entered through a Memorial Hall containing the names of the war dead. The monument with bronze statue of a soldier by N A Trent was unveiled in November 1922, the Hall and Children's Wing completed 5 years later.

Visitor Facilities

Daily 8am-dusk (check site owner for closing time); closed Christmas Day. Memorial Hall open 1st Sun each month, May-Oct, 2-4.30pm

Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

Daily 8am-dusk (check site owner for closing time); closed Christmas Day. Memorial Hall open 1st Sun each month, May-Oct, 2-4.30pm

Directions

Tube: Newbury Park (Central). Bus: 66, 169, 296, 396

History

Period

  • Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
Contact

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • LB Redbridge

References

Contributors

  • London Parks and Gardens Trust