Buckingham Road Cemetery (also known as Great Ilford Cemetery)7185

London, England, Greater London, Redbridge

Brief Description

Headstones, graves and monuments are set in gravel and cinders. The cemetery has notable limes, particularly on its south side with 19th-century railings on the west boundary. Tarmac paths run through the site.

History

Ilford Burial Board, established in 1880, laid out Buckingham Road Cemetery as an extension of the burial ground of St Mary's Great Ilford and it has its own chapel. Then known as Great Ilford Cemetery, the first burial was on 4 September 1881.

Visitor Facilities

Mon - Fri 7.30am-4.30pm/Sat 9am-4.30pm/Sun, Bank Holidays 10am-4.30pm

Detailed Description

Ilford Burial Board, established in 1880, laid out Buckingham Road Cemetery as an extension of the burial ground of St Mary the Virgin Great Ilford and initially the cemetery was known as Great Ilford Cemetery. It had its own chapel, due to be demolished by early 2011, and the first burial took place on 4 September 1881. A memorial near the entrance commemorates Sir Peter Griggs, the 1st MP for Ilford, who died in 1920, his monument surmounted by an angel. The cemetery has notable limes, particularly on its south side with C19th railings on the west boundary.

Sources consulted:

Victoria County History, p256

For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=RED006

Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

Mon - Fri 7.30am-4.30pm/Sat 9am-4.30pm/Sun, Bank Holidays 10am-4.30pm

Directions

Rail: Seven Kings. Bus: 86
References

Contributors

  • London Parks and Gardens Trust