In 1991 the village officially closed as a children's home, and the site is much reduced today although part of the original greens survive. Among fine trees are Scots pines and oak, garden areas include roses and ornamental shrub, and there are three Victorian fountains.
Dr Barnardo's Village Home for Girls was founded here in 1875, built on part of the estate of Mossford Lodge where Dr Barnardo and his wife Syrie set up home in 1875. Barnardo had the entirely new idea of providing individual 'cottages' for destitute girls of different ages, each supervised by a house mother. The planned community was built around a series of village greens and at one time was home to over 1,000 girls on a site of 60 acres, with schools, a children's church and other facilities; boys were admitted in the 1930s. Some of the first cottages were named after flowers and plants, and the children undertook gardening duties. Dr Barnardo was buried here in 1905, his large memorial located in the grounds.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Barkingside (Central). Rail: Ilford then bus. Bus: 128, 150, 167, 169, 462
London Parks and Gardens Trust