Three Mills Green is the first part of a project to create the Lea River Park linking to the new Olympic Park. It is owned by the Lee Valley Regional Park Authority and is an open green space predominantly on level ground with a mound towards the north. The main entrance from Three Mills is from a cobbled area inlaid with slabs leading to elaborate metal gates inscribed with the park's name.
Although Three Mills Green is a new public open space, the area has a long history, with records of a mill on the site at the time of the Domesday Survey in 1086. It is known as Three Mills Island due to being surrounded on three sides by the River Lea, and for its three mills: the 18th-century House Mill, early-19th-century Clock Mill, and a windmill, demolished in 1838. Until the 18th century the mills were used to grind flour for bread and subsequently grain for distilleries.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted. House Mill open for tours Sundays 1-4pm, May-October.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted. House Mill open for tours Sundays 1-4pm, May-October.
DirectionsTube: Bromley by Bow, West Ham (District/Hammersmith & City). DLR: Bow Church. Rail: West Ham. Bus: 108, D8, 25, 448