A number of the early features remain, including its layout of paths, mature trees, park buildings such as toilets, park shelter, and ornamental fountain, although the bandstand no longer exists, a new performance structure erected on the site in recent years. Bedding displays continue to be a feature of the park.
West Ham Lane Recreation Ground opened in stages between 1899 and 1912 as the Borough Council acquired parcels of land for its new park. The first section next to Whalebone Lane was once part of the grounds of a grand house that had belonged to the Archdeacon of Essex and the estate included land and houses on the west side of West Ham Lane. The freehold was sold to West Ham Council in 1899. The recreation ground was probably the last in the series of parks created in West Ham in the 1890s as part of an initiative to provide public open space as the area was developed for housing. The park was renamed Stratford Park in the late 1990s.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from dawn to dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from dawn to dusk.
DirectionsLondon Overground/DLR/Rail/Tube (Central, Jubilee): Stratford. Bus: 69, 104, 238, 241, 262, 473.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)