The park is adjacent to the East London Cemetery, which lies on its boundary, and is overlooked by The Greenway. It remains essentially laid out as playing fields, and has an avenue of mature plane trees flanking the main north/south path, and some shrubs planted along the border. The Grassroots Resource Centre now provides community facilities in an innovatory building with an undulating turf-covered roof.
Memorial Recreation Ground opened in 1897, and was the playing fields where West Ham United Football Club originated, the club also using Hermit Road Recreation Ground, before moving to Upton Park in 1904. The Memorial Ground was also the home of the East London Rugby Club.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from dawn to dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from dawn to dusk.
DirectionsTube/Rail: West Ham. Rail: West Ham. Bus: 69, 276
London Parks and Gardens Trust