The churchyard was converted to lawns between 1958-78 although some tombs remain on the south side of the church. In the 1980s the church exterior was cleaned and cast-ion railings were reinstated around the churchyard. The church still forms a focal point in the centre of the busy road system, now close to the London 2012 Olympic Park.
St John the Evangelist was established at Stratford when the old parish of West Ham had grown as a result of development in the area. The site for the new church was the village green, and the architect's plans included vaults beneath the church and a large graveyard. In 1878 the Martyrs' Memorial was erected in the churchyard, commemorating 18 Protestants burnt at the stake at Stratford in 1556.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsLondon Overground/DLR/Rail/Tube (Central, Jubilee): Stratford. Bus: 25, 69, 86, 104, 108, 158, 238, 241, 257, 262, 308, 425, 473, D8, N8, N86, 010, A9, 741, 742, 743
- Mid 19th Century
- Associated People
Just one person associated to St John the Evangelist Churchyard, Newham
Official WebsiteClick Here
London Parks and Gardens Trust