Features of Abbey Mills include the listed pumping station and associated buildings, as well as lodges, gates and gate piers. The historic part of the site has opened for London Open House.
Abbey Mills Pumping Station was built in 1865-8 and was originally surrounded by formal, landscaped gardens. Named for its proximity to the former site of Stratford Langthorne Abbey, the pumping station was built to lift lower level sewage into the Northern Outfall Sewer that took sewage from all over London to Beckton. An extravagantly ornamented building it was nicknamed 'the Cathedral of Sewage'. Its 2 Moorish-style chimneys were demolished in WWII for fear they would be used as bomber landmarks; they had been unused since steam power had been replaced by electric motors in 1933. The new pumping station to the south was built in 1994-7, since when the old Pumping Station has been used as standby, for example in times of storm.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open by prior appointment only.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open by prior appointment only.
DirectionsLondon Overground/Rail/DLR/Tube (Central, Jubilee): Stratford then bus. DLR: Pudding Mill Lane
London Parks and Gardens Trust