The original layout featured a tree-lined north-south axis with a bandstand in a central circular area, from which a tree-lined path ran to the south-west corner; a perimeter walk with trees and shrubs encircled the park. Seats, a drinking fountain, refreshment room, shelter and swings were added and by 1939 a bowling green, tennis courts and playground existed in the northern section. The Daisy Parsons Memorial Garden was created to commemorate the former Mayor of West Ham.
The site for Hermit Road Recreation Ground was purchased by John H. Bethell, Mayor of West Ham and then MP, later Baron Bethell of Romford, who was a major influence in ensuring that public parks were provided as part of the development of the area. The land was purchased with the aid of private subscriptions and the MPGA also assisted with the purchase and provided 24 seats. The park was opened in May 1899.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from dawn to dusk. Arc in the Park open term-time Tue-Fri 3.30-6.30; Sat 9.30-4; holidays M-F 9.30-4pm.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from dawn to dusk. Arc in the Park open term-time Tue-Fri 3.30-6.30; Sat 9.30-4; holidays M-F 9.30-4pm.
DirectionsTube: Plaistow; West Ham (District/Hammersmith & City). DLR: Canning Town. Rail: Canning Town. Bus: 5, 15, 69, 241, 276, 300, 330, 474
London Parks and Gardens Trust