Cawder (also known as Cadder)4416

Glasgow, Scotland

Brief Description

The designed landscape at Cawdor is now dominated by a number of golf courses, developed from the mid-20th century. It does however retain various built features and significant tree belts and parkland planting, some of it dating from the early-19th century. The line of the Antonine Wall runs through the estate.

History

The Cawder estate was in the hands of branches of the Stirling family for over 700 years. Tree planting had started by the mid-18th century, including the so-called Wilderness Plantation. Major improvements to the house and grounds in the early-19th century included the formation of a water garden. Further development of the estate, gardens and parkland continued through the 19th century. The first golf course was opened in 1934, followed by another three years later. Both these courses were designed by James Braid.

Detailed Description

The tree planting on the estate consists of belts of mixed broadleaves of various ages including some from the early 19th-century planting. The parkland areas now used as golf courses are well-endowed with mature specimen trees, but the parkland effect is marred by lines of small trees between fairways.

Features
  • Doocot
  • Description: Mostly 19th-century but with a re-used lintel marked 1753.
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: Originally built in the early-17th century, the house was remodelled in the early-19th century by David Hamilton for Charles Stirling.
  • Lake
  • Description: Early 19th-century oxbow lake formed by diverting the River Kelvin, which now forms a water hazard on the golf course.
Stable, Sundial, Icehouse
History

Detailed History

Mid-18th-century maps of Cawder show rectilinear rows of trees, a broad belt of planting and a Wilderness plantation. Charles Stirling developed the estate from the early-19th century, diverting the River Kelvin to create a water garden. It was at this time that the archaeological remains of the Antonine Wall were discovered. By the mid-19th century there was parkland, a walled garden, an icehouse, a doocot and further tree planting. There were also mining interests in the wider estate. Tree planting continued into the early-20th century.

The grounds became Cawder Golf Club in 1933 and courses designed by James Braid were opened in 1934 and 1937. After wartime use by the army, Caledonian Estates Developments Ltd took over from Cawder Estates but the presence of the Antonine Wall prevented complete mineral exploitation of the site.

In the mid-1960s the walled garden situated within the oxbow was demolished. A new golf course layout was created by 1971 around a quarry.

Associated People

People associated to Cawder

Contact

Telephone

0131 668 8600

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

References

References