Some old trees survive amongst new housing. The lake and Parklands Bridge remain, together with a grass walk along the northern bank, which were acquired by Hornchurch UDC for public open space. The silted-up lake was cleaned in 1956/7 to enable fishing, a public amenity until then not provided by the Council.
Parklands Open Space was formerly part of Gaynes or Engaynes manor, whose name derives from Vitalis Engayne who owned the estate from 1218. It had numerous owners until 1780 when Sir James Esdaile purchased what was then little more than a farmhouse. He built a new manor house, since demolished, and laid out the 100-acre park. A stream was dammed to create a lake, with a bridge built at its east end, clumps of trees were planted and shrubbery walks laid out. From 1817 on parts of the estate, by then some 750 acres, were sold off to various private owners and eventually in 1929 the estate was sold for building development.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail/Tube: Upminster (District) then bus. Bus: 370, 373.
- Associated People
Just one person associated to Parklands Open Space
London Parks and Gardens Trust