Upminster Cemetery 7300

London, England, Greater London

Brief Description

Built on a rectangular piece of land to the east of the hamlet of Corbets Tey and south of Upminster, the cemetery was simply laid out with a central roadway leading to a small mortuary chapel towards the back of the plot.

History

Upminster Cemetery dates from 1902, providing for the growing population of the parish of Upminster parish. The South Essex Crematorium was built on adjacent land to the west in 1956/7, and the original cemetery land was itself extended to the north of its chapel, opening out into a rectangular area behind the land of the Crematorium. Further expansion of Upminster Cemetery took place by 1989, directly to the east of the original cemetery land.

Visitor Facilities

The site is open daily April to October 9am - 7pm; November to March 9am - 4pm

Detailed Description

Upminster Cemetery dates from 1902 to provide for the growing population of Upminster parish. Built on a rectangular piece of land to the east of Corbets Tey hamlet, the cemetery was simply laid out with a central roadway leading to a small mortuary chapel towards the back of the plot. At that time the cemetery was surrounded by open land, and this is not much changed even today. The South Essex Crematorium was built on adjacent land in 1956/7, and the original cemetery land was itself extended to the north, with further expansion by 1989 to the east.

For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=HVG063

Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The site is open daily April to October 9am - 7pm; November to March 9am - 4pm

Directions

Rail/Tube: Upminster then bus. Bus: 370
History

Period

  • Early 20th Century
References

Contributors

  • London Parks and Gardens Trust