New amenities were added through the 1950s, including playground equipment, tennis courts, footpaths, and tree-planting. The front field was once used by Upminster Football Club, and Upminster Hockey Club had a pitch on part of the park once described as 'comparable with any in Essex’.
Upminster Park is on former Glebe land associated with St Laurence's Church and owned by the Church Commissioners. Initial proposals to purchase land for a public recreation ground took place in 1920, but it was not until 1929 that Upminster Parish Council succeeded in purchasing the site. It was levelled and a variety of trees planted. During World War 2 it was one of the few parks kept open for recreation purposes although underground shelters were built on the north-east side.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail/Tube: Upminster (District). Bus: 248, 370, 648, 652 (schooldays only)
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)