Upminster Windmill is a historic local landmark, set within Windmill Field, an area provided as public recreational space.
The Windmill dates from 1803 and was in use until the 1930s, owned by the Abraham family since 1857. In 1937 Essex County Council purchased the Mill estate, initially to develop the site, but the Windmill was preserved as a result of local pressure. It was eventually restored and first opened to the public in 1968, having passed to LB Havering in 1965. Windmill Field was initially leased to an archery club, but open to the public at all other times.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted to Field. Windmill open certain weekends Apr - Oct 2-5pm (check with Friends of Upminster Windmill).
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted to Field. Windmill open certain weekends Apr - Oct 2-5pm (check with Friends of Upminster Windmill).
DirectionsTube: Upminster Bridge, Upminster (District). Rail: Upminster. Bus: 248, 370 (648, 652 schooldays only)
London Parks and Gardens Trust