South Essex Crematorium and Memorial Gardens (also known as Corbets Tey Crematorium, Upminster Crematorium)7274

London, Greater London, England

Brief Description

Enclosed by red brick walls, the grounds and memorial gardens were from the first laid out formally, subdivided into separate areas with well-kept grass, beds, flowering trees and variegated shrubs. The main red brick crematorium buildings incorporated on the east side a circular Chapel of Meditation with a conical roof, the complex surrounded by Tuscan colonnaded verandas. From the main entrance, a drive led to the buildings, with a large oval pond now an ornamental lily pond.

History

South Essex Crematorium was opened in 1957 by Hornchurch UDC laid out on open land to the west of Upminster Cemetery .

Visitor Facilities

The site is open daily 9am - 4pm (November - March); 9am - 7pm (April - October)

Detailed Description

South Essex Crematorium was opened in 1957 by Hornchurch UDC, laid out on open land to the west of Upminster Cemetery, established here in 1902. The first cremation took place on 4 July of that year. The site was expanded along its western boundary by 1971. Enclosed by red brick walls, the grounds and memorial gardens were from the first laid out formally and well-planted, subdivided into separate areas. A drive from the entrance led to the main red brick crematorium buildings, fronted by an ornamental pond.

Sources consulted:

Bridget Cherry, Charles O'Brien, Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England, London 5: East', Yale University Press, 2005, p210

For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=HVG059

Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The site is open daily 9am - 4pm (November - March); 9am - 7pm (April - October)

Directions

Rail/Tube: Upminster (District) then bus. Bus: 370
References

Contributors

  • London Parks and Gardens Trust