Harwood Hall, now Oakfields Montessori School, is on the outskirts of Corbets Tey village. The substantial grounds had gardens by the house, with a lake and ice house in woodland near West Lodge. It remained in private ownership until converted as a school.
Harwood Hall was built c.1782 by Sir James Esdaile, who had purchased the extensive Manor of Gaines or Gaynes, building 10 houses on his land of which Harwood Hall is one of only two to survive. It remained part of Gaynes Manor until it was purchased in 1819 by Captain Cox, who lived here until 1858. Harwood Hall was enlarged and improved between 1840s and 1880s; among Captain Cox's projects was an unsuccessful attempt to plant fir tree saplings.
- Access & Directions
DirectionsRail/Tube: Upminster (District) then bus. Bus: 370, 373.
- 18th Century
- Late 18th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust