The churchyard contains 18th-century headstones and its lych gate and war memorial were erected after World War 1. It has been managed as a nature reserve since 1986. Beside the churchyard is The Dell, since 1965 an electricity substation but which was previously a site popular for fairs and other recreational events including prize fights.
St Andrew’s Church still retains elements of a 13th-century building and is on a site where there has probably been a church since Anglo-Saxon times. Hornchurch was one of the three parishes within the Royal Manor and Liberty of Havering. In 1158 Henry II granted the church and land to the monks of St Bernard in Montjoux who built Hornchurch Priory, which survived until 1390/91. The monks’ seal, a bull’s head, may be why a horned bull’s head can still be seen on the east exterior wall of the church, and is possibly the origin of ‘Hornchurch’. St Andrew’s churchyard was for a long time the only place authorised for burial in this area and monks from Hornchurch Priory are purportedly buried here.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening of the churchyard is unrestricted. Church open Mon-Fri 10am-12.30pm/1.30pm-4pm and May Bank Holiday (tower open).
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening of the churchyard is unrestricted. Church open Mon-Fri 10am-12.30pm/1.30pm-4pm and May Bank Holiday (tower open).
DirectionsTube: Upminster Bridge (District). Bus: 248, 370
Official WebsiteClick Here
London Parks and Gardens Trust