Stubbers originated in the 14th century. The 16th and 17th century walled gardens and 18th century features were re-designed by Humphry Repton in the early 19th century. The site was used for gravel extraction in the late 20th century, and is now an outdoor pursuits centre.
Lake, Crinkle-crankle Wall
The estate at Stubbers is first mentioned in the 14th century. In the 16th century the house and walled gardens were developed by the Coys family, and in the early 17th century were the home of the naturalist William Coys, who ran the gardens almost as a botanic garden, with many new species.
In the 18th century avenues, lawns and a detached kitchen garden with a crinkle-crankle wall were created. The crinkle-crankle wall still survives. A Red Book by Humphry Repton dated 1796 outlines changes to the design of the estate.
The house at Stubbers was demolished in 1960. Gravel extraction in adjacent fields in the 1970s resulted in lakes and hillocks, which formed the venue for an Outdoor Pursuits Centre, now (2008) privately run.
- Associated People
Just one person associated to Stubbers