Milngavie Reservoirs and Barrachan 4616

Milngavie, Scotland

Brief Description

The site is dominated by the water bodies and architecture of the two 19th-century reservoirs built to secure Glasgow's water supply. There are public walkways and some open areas for recreation. Tree planting includes screening belts and one large group featuring mixed ornamental conifers dating from the mid-19th century.

History

Barrachan Farm to the north of the reservoirs dates from the early-19th century. Work on Mugdock Reservoir to the west commenced in 1855 and finished in 1859. Craigmaddie Reservoir to the east was completed in 1896. In the early-20th century the area was a popular weekend destination for city people who came out in bus loads from Glasgow. The Katrine Water Project opened new treatment works in 2008, involving construction on the land east of the small designed landscape associated with Barrachan.

Visitor Facilities

Public paths run around both reservoirs and through the woods to the north of Mugdock Reservoir and Barrachan.

Detailed Description

About half of the site (60 hectares) is taken up with the water bodies. Water from the aqueduct discharges into the reservoirs via an outlet through crescent-shaped screen walls and then enters gauge basins and measuring ponds. The gauge basin associated with Craigmaddie Reservoir is divided into five sections by dividing walls in the pattern of a palmate leaf. The 19th-century Barrachan Farm features policy woodland to the west and areas of former parkland to the south, which are now somewhat neglected.

The whole area has high recreational and amenity value and forms a significant feature in views of the area from the south, with the water bodies and tree planting seen against a backdrop of hills.

Features
  • Dam
  • Description: Mugdock and Craigmaddie Reservoirs.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Causeway
  • Description: A raised berm between Mugdock and Craigmaddie Reservoirs.
  • Drinking Fountain
  • Description: An art nouveau-style fountain erected in honour of J M Gale, one of the chief engineers of the project.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Gate Lodge
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

Public paths run around both reservoirs and through the woods to the north of Mugdock Reservoir and Barrachan.
History

Detailed History

Water was transported to the reservoirs at Milngavie by a 26-mile aqueduct from Loch Katrine in the Trossachs to secure a clean drinking water supply for Glasgow, following the passing of a Water-Works Act in 1855.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
Contact

Telephone

0131 668 8600

Official Website

Click Here

Owners

  • Scottish Water

    Castle House, 6 Castle Drive, Carnegie Campus, Dunfermline, KY11 8GG
References

References