Lennox Castle (also known as Woodhead)4544

Clachan of Campsie, Scotland

Brief Description

The extensive designed landscape associated with the mid-19th-century Lennox Castle retains its essential 19th-century layout despite its development as a mental hospital in the early-20th century. Features include substantial tree belts, a walled garden and the ruins of a 16th-century tower house.

History

Woodhead House was built in the late-16th century and occupied until the mid-19th when Lennox Castle was built. During the 17th and 18th centuries the house sat at the centre of a formal layout of avenues and tree-lined enclosures. The designed landscape took on its present form in the 19th century, particularly after the castle was built around 1840. The house and some of the estate was sold to Glasgow Corporation in 1927 for use as a mental hospital which opened in 1937. On its closure in 2002 all the hospital buildings were demolished. The site is in multiple private and public ownership, including developers and the Forestry Commission.

Detailed Description

Substantial areas of woodland remain in the form of belts and plantations which contribute significantly to the local landscape. They date from the early-19th century and earlier, although some have since been replanted. These include Clochcore Wood, Craigend Wood, Bank Wood and Netherton Wood as well as some more commercial plantations such as Drum Plantation. No parkland remains from the 19th-century layout as it was built on when the hospital was developed.

The large walled garden is in a ruinous state and features derelict glasshouses, bothies and irrigated forcing beds. Some exotic and ornamental tree and shrub planting remains around Woodhead House, Lennox Castle and along the drives, including Douglas Fir, Wellingtonia and species rhododendron.

Currently (2006) the areas where the hospital buildings once stood are cordoned off and consist of little more than piles of rubble. Planning permission has been obtained for various housing and other developments.

Features
  • Castle (featured building)
  • Description: The castle is on the Buildings at Risk Register for Scotland.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ruin
  • Description: The ruins of the 16th-century tower house, treated as a picturesque garden feature after Lennox Castle was built.
  • Greenhouse
  • Description: Ruined glasshouses in the walled garden.
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: Derelict mid-19th-century walled garden with inner and outer enclosure.
  • Dam
  • Description: Mill Dam
  • Burn
  • Description: There are two burns, Pow Burn and Glazert Water.
Ha-ha
History

Detailed History

Between 1837 and 1841 John Lennox Kincaid-Lennox built the new Castle as a replacement for Woodhead House. He built it in a grand style intended to support his claim to the Earldom, in which he did not succeed. The designed landscape was largely laid out at this time, including the walled garden conceived by Stewart Murray, a prominent local garden designer.
Associated People

Just one person associated to Lennox Castle

Contact

Telephone

0131 668 8600

Official Website

Click Here
References

References