Dougalston 4448

Milngavie, Scotland

Brief Description

Dougalston is a designed landscape which retains its 19th-century extent and varied woodland and water features. It is now in multiple ownership and provides the setting for a golf course, a sporting complex and a housing development.

History

The earliest records of Dougalston date from the 13th century. By the mid-18th century there was a formal designed landscape of rectilinear, tree-lined enclosures and a grand avenue leading south from the house. The merchant John Glassford bought the property in 1767, and informalised the design of the estate including the creation of Dougalston Loch. By the mid-19th century Dougalston was a large estate well-endowed with planting, parkland and buildings. The house was demolished in the mid-20th century to make way for the golf course which opened in 1976.

Visitor Facilities

There is public access to some woodland and lochside paths.

Detailed Description

Dougalston is located on hilly ground rising to about 85 metres in the north with views over the northern part of Glasgow. There is a housing development in the southern part of the site adjacent to Dougalston Loch and a golf course and sporting complex situated in the central and northern areas.

Considerable tree belts remain, largely composed of mixed broadleaved trees dominated by beech. They comprise boundary planting as well as blocks through the centre of the site. There are also more open areas corresponding to former parkland although their character has been altered due to the needs of golfing. There are no gardens save the unused walled garden with three surviving walls and a few stumps of box. The Factor's House is situated here.

Features
  • Doocot
  • Description: Octagonal doocot
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Icehouse
  • Description: Domed icehouse located within the Factor's House.
  • Lake
  • Description: Dougalston Loch
  • Pond
  • Description: Ladies' Pond
Burn, Banqueting House
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

There is public access to some woodland and lochside paths.

Directions

Footpaths open to the public can be accessed from the Baldernock road, which crosses the northern part of the site.
History

Detailed History

John Glassford (1715-1783) built the banqueting house in the early-18th century with an apartment for his factor and an ice-house incorporated into it. Robert Kerr restored the banqueting house after a fire in 1873 and it has been refurbished in the 20th century. Kerr also restored the main house in about 1872, which was later demolished when the golf course was developed in the mid-20th century.

Period

  • 18th Century
Associated People

People associated to Dougalston

Contact

Telephone

0131 668 8600

Official Website

Click Here
References

References