Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Bardowie Castle (also known as Bardowy, Barduie)4328

Introduction

The mid-16th-century Bardowie Castle stands on the north side of Loch Bardowie with a small designed landscape comprised largely of lawns and tree planting. The current estate includes an area of housing development.

Contact
Features
  • Castle (featured building)
  • Description: The tower dates back to the mid-16th century and the western part of the house to the 18th century.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Tree Avenue
  • Description: A significant lime avenue lining the main east drive.
  • Lake
  • Description: The natural Bardowie Loch.
  • Hedge
  • Description: An overgrown beech hedge, marking the site of the old kitchen garden, with a gap where the former garden buildings were.
Designations
  • Conservation Area
  • Reference: Bardowie Conservation Area
History

History

Records of Bardowie go back to the 13th century. The tower part of the castle was built in the mid-16th century and Roy's Military Map (around 1750) shows rectangular wooded enclosures associated with it. By the mid-19th century there was a walled garden, loch-side planting and lawns, although the designed landscape was never extensive. Bardowie Castle was part of large estate for most of its history and was gradually reduced in size during the 20th century.

Period

  • 18th Century
References

References