Kenmure (also known as High Kenmuir, Kenmuir)4278

Glasgow, Scotland

Brief Description

Kenmure is a former estate landscape now in divided ownership. There are significant woodlands dating from the early-19th century when the original house was built, but the house no longer stands. The parkland is the setting for a golf course and a small public park known as Bishopbriggs Park.

History

The Kenmure estate was bought in 1806 by Charles Stirling, whose family built the house and developed the designed landscape. By 1816 there was a walled garden and shelterbelt tree planting.

Detailed Description

The former Kenmure estate occupies land between the Forth and Clyde Canal to the north-west and housing and industrial development to the east and south. Bishopbriggs Burn skirts the north-eastern boundary of the site and is a significant hazard in the golf course, which occupies most of the northern part of the former parkland. This boundary is marked by Rookery wood, a belt of 19th-century planting.

The site of the former house and walled garden lies on a wooded hill. Vaulted cellars from the house and gate posts of the walled garden remain in the woods. The house was demolished in 1955.

The small Bishopbriggs public park can be reached from the Kirkintulloch Road. It has seating and play areas with a brick pergola.

Kenmure estate is now (2008) in multiple ownership and, as well as the golf club, also houses a school, a former remand centre and a secure unit.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The house was demolished in 1955
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tree Avenue
  • Description: The remains of a lime avenue lining the drive to the house, now with other species mixed in.
History

Detailed History

Records of the Kenmure estate go back to the late-16th century. By the late-18th century the house was surrounded by rectilinear tree-lined enclosures. Sales particulars from that period refer to a 300 acre [about 120 hectares] estate with a mansion house, three farms and woodland planting.

In 1806 Charles Stirling of the Keir and Cawder family bought the estate. He and his brother, Archibald, who acquired the estate in 1818 were both West India merchants. A new house was built in the early-19th century and the landscape developed with further tree planting, a walled garden and new drives. In 1862 the estate was inherited by Sir William Stirling Maxwell, an art historian, trustee of the British Museum, Chancellor of Glasgow University and a member of parliament for Perthshire.

In 1906 a group of golf enthusiasts negotiated the lease of 52 hectares of land on the estate to develop a golf course, which opened a year later. Further 20th-century developments include Bishopbriggs Public Park, and a school.

Associated People

Just one person associated to Kenmure

References

References