A garden first shown on the Enclosure Map of 1810 comprising a garden and adjacent orchards. The current owners have established a specialist plant nursery and developed the gardens but maintained much of the original layout.
Detailed DescriptionThe present owners have established a specialist plant nursery within the grounds. They have developed the 1.2 hectare (three acre) garden without destroying the mature existing plantings of willow and old native trees. A large pond is planted with an extensive range of water-loving plants suitable for fenland gardens. The island beds demonstrate the need for Cambridgeshire gardeners to grow drought resistant plants in an area of low rainfall, similar to the experimental Dry Garden at the Cambridge Botanic gardens.
Pond, Tree Feature, Island Bed
Detailed HistoryThe Lodge, originally thatched, is shown on the Enclosure Map of 1810, and was enlarged in 1840 by the addition of two rooms. Before the turn of the 19th century, the grounds around the Lodge comprised a lawn to the south edged with conifers and a central path leading to the first of three adjacent orchards.