The remains of a monastic garden which prior to 1170 was occupied by a small community of Benedictine monks. The current site is surrounded by earthworks and the remains of fish ponds.
Visitor FacilitiesToilets, disabled toilets, baby changing facilities.
The present building is an 18th-century house which incorperates part of the 12th-century cruciform church. The site is surrounded by six hectares of earthworks, including the remains of fishponds and some unusual rectangular ditched plots which were probably once gardens tended by individual monks. The 1880 Ordnance Survey Map shows an extensive moat, partly edged with trees and a small walled garden divided into four by cross paths.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact Details
Please visit the website for opening times, special events and more information.
Prior to 1170 the site was occupied by a small community of Benedictine monks. Control was passed in 1170 to the Knights Templar.
Prior to 1170 this monastic site was occupied by a small community of Benedictine monks. It was transferred to the Knights Templar who made use of the site until the order was suppressed in 1308. It was then taken over by a house of the Franciscan Order of Minoresses, established by the widowed Countess of Pembroke who held it until the Dissolution of the monastries in 1538.
Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust