Horningsea, Eye Hall 4060

Horningsea, England, Cambridgeshire, Cambridge

Brief Description

The remains of a 16th- and 19th-century layout which included an orchard, kitchen garden and pleasure grounds. The ha-ha and lake remain and the shape of the Victorian kitchen garden can be identified from the Yew hedging around its perimeter.

Detailed Description

There still exist remnants of enclosed parkland probably of an early-19th-century date, with a ha-ha and a small lake. The Victorian kitchen garden can be recognised today by its perimeter yew hedge. There is a short avenue of chestnut trees lining the drive to the hall.
Ha-ha, Lake, Hedge, Tree Avenue

Detailed History

Eye Hall consists of a house and farm buildings. The north range was built in the 16th century and the south wing added in the early-19th century. The sale particulars of 1885 mention pleasure grounds, an extensive productive kitchen garden with greenhouse and orchard.


  • Tudor (1485-1603)