Stow-Cum-Quy Hall 4112

Stow-Cum-Quy, England, Cambridgeshire, South Cambridgeshire

Brief Description

Features of Stow-Cum-Quy Hall include a pond, ha-ha and a large park.

History

The present hall was re-built in the late-19th century.

Detailed Description

The formal gardens were laid out with a pond and ha-ha. These were later incorporated with the island in Quy water as it meanders towards Lode. The park, originally 8 hectares (20 acres), was extended to 60 hectares (150 acres). All the village houses in the larger park were removed.

A long elm aveneue was planted half a mile in length towards the south lodge through the park. The avenue terminates at a cast iron bridge obtained for St. John's College in 1853 when the Bin Brook was diverted. The original walled kitchen garden has been given over to lawns leading up to the river.

Features
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ornamental Pond
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ha-ha
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ornamental Bridge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Avenue
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Stow cum Quy
History

Detailed History

The present hall, built on the site of the old manor house, was remodelled in 1870 by William White, a pupil of Sir Gilbert Scott.
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust