Ballencleroch (also known as Bancleyrach, Kirkton)4319

Balgrochan, Scotland

Brief Description

The designed landscape at Ballencleroch consists of parkland with mature specimen trees, surrounded by belts of mixed deciduous and coniferous woodland. The site operates as a religious retreat and is well maintained.

History

The McFarlan family lived at Ballencleroch from the mid-17th until the early-20th century. Early-18th-century landscaping included tree planting in the grounds and in Campsie Glen. By the mid-19th century there was a modest designed landscape. The house was enlarged at this time and later became a hotel until it was destroyed by arson in 1983. Since 1989 Ballencleroch has been a retreat and pilgrimage centre.

Detailed Description

Ballencleroch is situated at the foot of the Campsie Fells south of the village of Clachan of Campsie and the Campsie Glen. The Kirk Burn runs along the eastern boundary of the site.

The buildings of the site are set in and around the open grassland area with its mature parkland trees. As well as the house there are several other buildings and structures associated with the Retreat, including the Stations of the Cross and a Cross of the Covenant. From this Cross there are good views towards the Campsie Fells through a break in the tree belts surrounding the site. The mixed woodland by the Kirk Burn has fine specimen trees and attractive woodland paths running through it.

Features
  • Retreat (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Path
  • Description: Woodland paths.
Burn, Tree Belt, Specimen Tree
Authorities

Electoral Ward

  • Campsie
History

Detailed History

The earliest records of Ballencleroch date from the early-15th century. From 1642 until 1921 the site was occupied by the McFarlan family. Much tree planting was carried out from the early-18th century, and during the lifetime of John McFarlan (1767-1846) Campsie Glen was opened to the public.

In 1852 the house was enlarged in the Scots Baronial style and became the Campsie Glen Hotel until it was burnt down in 1983. A new house was built in 1995 by the Sisters of Schoenstatt who currently (2008) run the site as a retreat centre.

References

References