Hampstead Green is the remains of what was once a much larger area of manorial waste. The railed triangular site is now managed for wildlife, planted with a wild flower meadow.
On the John Rocque map 1746 it is shown as an open space with an avenue of trees surrounded by a few buildings; in the 1830s it was described as 'a grassy playground for children with a fine double row of trees'. Part of the green was taken when St Stephen's Church was built in 1869-75, and the site then came into the ownership of the church who also had responsibility for its maintenance. In 1928 it was referred to as Pond Street Enclosure, a 'small grass plot planted with shrubs and trees' that was protected under the London Squares Act of 1931. A Cabman's Shelter was erected adjacent in 1935.
- Access & Directions
DirectionsTube: Belsize Park (Northern). London Overground: Hampstead Heath. Bus: 168, 268, C11, 24, 46
London Parks and Gardens Trust