Threatened with demolition in the 1920s, the house was purchased and opened to the public as a memorial to John Keats on 9 May 1925. In 2009 Keats House re-opened following refurbishment of both house and garden, the latter redesigned in keeping with the Regency period of Keats' day.
The house, originally called Wentworth Place, was built in 1814-6 for Charles Wentworth Dilke and Charles Armitage Brown, a pair of semi-detached houses sharing a common garden, on land enclosed from Hampstead Heath. John Keats (1795-1821) lived here with Brown from 1818-1820, having come to know the area in 1816. In 1819 Fanny Brawne and her family lived next door and she and Keats met and fell in love. Keats died of TB in Italy, where he had travelled for the sake of his health. The house was later owned by actress Eliza Chester, who made it a single dwelling.
Visitor FacilitiesSummer (check dates): Tue-Sun 1-5pm (Tue-Sat 10am-12 prebooked/schools). Winter: Fri-Sun 1-5pm (Tue-Thur 10am-12 prebooked/schools). Closed 24-26 Dec
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsSummer (check dates): Tue-Sun 1-5pm (Tue-Sat 10am-12 prebooked/schools). Winter: Fri-Sun 1-5pm (Tue-Thur 10am-12 prebooked/schools). Closed 24-26 Dec
DirectionsLondon Overground: Hampstead Heath. Tube: Belsize Park, Hampstead (Northern). Bus: 24, 46, 168 C11, C12 then walk