South End Green is a small open space in the middle of busy roads, with grass, a few trees and seating. The ornamental octagonal granite drinking fountain in the centre was donated in 1880 by Miss Crump of Hereford House, Hampstead. The purpose-built shelter nearby was built c1893 for tramwaymen of the London Tramway Company, which had extended trams to South End Green by 1886.The largely intact underground Public Lavatories were built by the London and North-Western Railway in 1897.
- Visitor Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsLondon Overground: Hampstead Heath
- Conservation Area
- Reference: Hampstead Village
A settlement called Pond Street is mentioned in 1607, and by the early C18th the hamlet had c.24 houses. Until 1835 there was a pond where South End Green is now, which was then filled in and a public green laid out.
- Victorian (1837-1901)
London Parks and Gardens Trust