There are a few chest tombs, and several graves have the form of miniature gardens. Among those buried here are Sir Walter Besant, George du Maurier, Hugh Gaitskill and George Gilbert Scott Jnr. There are two fine Cedars of Lebanon and other mature trees including oak, yew, copper beech.
The land for St John's Churchyard North Extension was acquired in 1811 to provide additional burial space for the parish church of St John-at-Hampstead directly to the south. The Additional Burial Ground, consecrated by the Bishop of London in 1812, was laid out in a grid marked A-Q west to east and 1-110 south to north.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open during daylight hours.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open during daylight hours.
DirectionsTube: Hampstead. Bus: 46, 268.
Official WebsiteClick Here
Diocese of London
London Parks and Gardens Trust