Hainault Forest Golf Course is continuous with Hainault Country Park in the adjacent borough of Redbridge. Now leased to Hainault Golf Club, the course has two 18-hole courses, the Upper Course dating back to 1908 and the Lower Course to 1923, both designed by 5 times Open champion J H Taylor.
Formerly part of Waltham Forest, its name may be a corruption of Hyneholt (community wood) referring to the practice when poor widows were allowed to gather free wood here in winter. Once part of Barking Abbey lands, it reverted to the Crown after the Dissolution of the Monasteries. In 1851 2800 acres of woodland were cleared and the land then mostly used for farming, with only small areas of woodland left. In 1902/3 800 acres of woodland and farmland of Foxburrows Farm were purchased by the LCC and opened to the public in 1906. Later managed by the GLC, the park became the responsibility of LB Redbridge in 1986.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is partially open to the public.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is partially open to the public.
DirectionsTrain: Ilford, Romford then bus. Tube: Gants Hill, Hainault (Central) then bus. Bus: 150, 247, 362
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust