There is a war memorial to the north, a children's section and a Garden of Rest for cremated remains in the south east.
The cemetery was established by Dagenham Urban District Council and opened in 1934, with the first burial recorded on 1 June that year. At that time it was an isolated location and most of the surrounding area was in agricultural use. The cemetery was laid out by the Borough Engineer and Surveyor Thomas Philip Francis, whose chapel is a rather austere red brick building with stone cladding, its Art Deco style echoed in the entrance gate with piers and an iron screen to the road.
Visitor Facilities1 Oct-31 Mar:10am-4.30pm M-F/10am-4pm Sat, Sun, BH; 1 Apr-30 Sept:10am-7pm M-F/10am-6pm Sat, Sun, BH.
Detailed DescriptionChadwell Heath Cemetery opened in 1934, provided by Dagenham UDC, with the first burial recorded on 1 June. At that time the area either side of Whalebone Lane was rural and initially only the eastern part of the cemetery was laid out with paths, open land remaining to the west. From the entrance a short drive led to the Mortuary Chapel from where a formal layout of paths radiated, with yews planted along the 'spokes'. Further paths formed a semi-circle with the chapel on its eastern edge, the circle completed when the burial ground was extended to the west. The cemetery has been further extended, most recently to the north.
James Howson 'A Brief History of Barking & Dagenham' (LBBD Libraries Dept, 6th ed 1990); Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer' 4th edition (The History Press), 2008
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=BAD006
- Access & Directions
Access Contact Details1 Oct-31 Mar:10am-4.30pm M-F/10am-4pm Sat, Sun, BH; 1 Apr-30 Sept:10am-7pm M-F/10am-6pm Sat, Sun, BH.
DirectionsRail: Chadwell Heath then bus + walk. Bus: 62, 296 (then walk).
London Parks and Gardens Trust