The main hospital is surrounded on the east, south and west by a large heart-shaped terrace with a low brick perimeter wall and the approach is from the south-east in Barley Lane where there is a late C19th lodge, with iron screen and gates opening to the landscaped drive. The perimeter wall of the airing courts remains. A short horse chestnut avenue to the south of the main building dates from c.1900 and the grounds contain notable robinia, horse chestnut, holly and ash, with an understorey of rhododendron and holly in the gardens. Also within the hospital grounds are playing fields and the remains of a recreation ground adjacent to the Happy Valley, a wooded dell along the west side of the hospital ground near Aldborough Road.
Goodmayes Hospital is the former West Ham Asylum, which was opened in 1901 by Cllr Abednigo Bishop, Mayor of West Ham Borough Council. Built on an eminence facing south, the Asylum gave views to Ilford and the building was lit by Ilford Council’s Generating Station.
- Access & Directions
DirectionsRail: Goodmayes then bus. Tube: Newbury Park (Central), then walk. Bus: 387, 66, 296, 396.
London Parks and Gardens Trust