Features of Hainault Forest Country Park include a fishing lake, zoo, farm, and visitor centre.
Hainault Forest Country Park was formed from former Hainault Forest land cleared from around 1853. Formerly part of Waltham Forest, its name may be a corruption of Hyneholt (community wood) referring to the practice when poor widows were allowed to gather free wood here in winter. Once part of Barking Abbey lands, it reverted to the Crown after the Dissolution of the Monasteries. In 1851 2800 acres of woodland were cleared and the land then mostly used for farming, with only small areas of woodland left. In 1902/3 800 acres of woodland and farmland of Foxburrows Farm were purchased by the LCC and opened to the public in 1906. Foxburrows Farm buildings had been rebuilt in 1856 and were later converted for use for park offices and refreshment facilities. In 1939 further land was purchased to extend the public open space. Later managed by the GLC, the park became the responsibility of LB Redbridge in 1986.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Gants Hill, Hainault then bus. Rail: Ilford, Romford then bus. Bus: 150, 247, 362.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust