An alley of plane trees lines the main path through the park. A new children’s playground and a golf course were added in 1955 and a new bowling green inaugurated in May 1956.
The origins of St Chad’s Park date from 1831 when 4 acres of Chadwell Heath were given to the Parish Council as allotments for the poor; a further 3 acres were set aside for public use in 1866 as part compensation to the parish when the Heath was enclosed. In 1928 the Council added 34 acres, formerly part of Blackbush Farm. In the 1930s the northern area was laid out as public open space, with the southern part containing tennis courts, putting green, formal planting and paths.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 7.15am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 7.15am - dusk.
DirectionsRail: Chadwell Heath. Bus: 62, 86, 173.
London Parks and Gardens Trust