The central area of grassland, now predominantly used as playing fields, is surrounded by ancient woodland and it could be a landscape of some antiquity.
The land for the park was given to the people of Lewisham in 1919 by H W Forster, later Lord Forster, first MP for the Borough of Bromley and Governor-General of Australia from 1920-25. The Forsters had lived at Southend Hall since the early-19th century and had a large estate in what was then a rural area. Mr Forster donated the land in memory of his 2 sons, killed in World War 1, and Forster Memorial Park was opened in 1922 by his daughter. The park was expanded in 1937 when land to the north was purchased from the Forster Estate Company.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 8am - sunset.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 8am - sunset.
DirectionsRail: Bellingham. Bus: 138
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)