Beckenham Place Park 329

Beckenham/Lewisham, England, Greater London

Brief Description

Beckenham Place Park is the remains of a late-18th-century estate, occupying about 96 hectares. Features include parkland and ancient wood. The park retains much of the form of a landscape park in terms of plantations, but parkland standards are reduced and blurred by golf course planting. The site has been a public park and golf course since 1928.

History

Beckenham Manor has mediaeval origins; the estate passed through various owners, some with royal connections. For a time divided, by the 17th century the whole estate was owned by Walter St John in whose family it remained until 1773 when John Cator of Bromley bought the manorial rights. Cator built Beckenham Place Mansion, near which is the Stable Block, and behind it the walled garden with cottage. Among Cator's friends were the Swedish botanist Linnaeus and he was son-in-law of Peter Collinson, who approved his planting and may have influenced his introduction of exotic trees and the lake (now dry). There are reputedly 60 species of tree on the estate and areas of ancient woodland. The estate was purchased by the LCC in 1927 and the golf course opened in 1929, the Mansion becoming the clubhouse; much of the land had been used for farming before the golf course was laid out.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal park for general public use.
Features
  • Mansion House (featured building)
  • Description: Beckenham Place is a late-18th-century house, perhaps by Robert Taylor, with fragments from Wricklemarsh incorporated.
  • Earliest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal park for general public use.

Directions

Rail: Ravensbourne/Beckenham Hill. Bus: 54, 136, 208, 181, 351, 361.
History

Period

  • Late 18th Century
  • 18th Century
Associated People

Just one person associated to Beckenham Place Park

Contact
References

References

Contributors

  • London Parks and Gardens Trust