The park formerly included an open air theatre, an avenue from Brownshill Road, drinking fountain, and ponds, all of which have now disappeared.
Mountsfield House was built in 1845 as a wedding present by his father for Henry Tibbats Stainton. It was bequeathed for a public park by his widow in 1903 and opened on 7 August 1905. At that time the property had some 2.5 hectares of parkland to the south of the house, and this became the core of Mountsfield Park. Stainton is recalled in a local road name. Mountsfield Park was extended in 1925 by around 11 hectares to the west on land that had previously been fields, one of which had been used by Charlton Athletic between 1921-24.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Hither Green. Bus: 160, 202
- Early 20th Century