In 2000 a new scheme to re-landscape the park was agreed following local consultation, the works completed in 2002. The Quaggy was naturalised as a meandering river and the newly landscaped park is also designed to hold floodwater, minimising the risk of flood damage to surrounding houses.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted (except the Community Orchard, which is restricted for schools use).
DirectionsRail: Grove Park. Bus: 124, 126
Chinbrook Meadows is so-called after the River Quaggy, which was also known as the Chin Brook or Kyd Brook, and runs along the lower part of the park. At the turn of the C20th the meadows were part of Chinbrook Dairy Farm although housing development had taken place in the area from the mid-C19th. The park began life in 1929 as a playground provided for residents of the LCC's new Grove Park Estate. The recreation ground was enlarged in 1937, mainly providing sports facilities. The southern area was later taken over for allotments, part of which is now the site of a community orchard.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust