Drury Lane Gardens (also known as St Martin in the Fields Burial Ground)8296

Greater London, England, Greater London

Brief Description

The mortuary and lodge survive either side of the entrance, together with 19th-century gate piers. The raised garden is largely taken up with a playground, sports court and hard landscaping but also has a seating area shaded by a pergola, with shrubberies and bedding displays. A number of tombstones are ranged along the northern boundary.

History

Drury Lane Gardens is a small public garden created in 1877 on the site of a former burial ground of St Martin-in-the-Fields, the first burial ground to be made into a public garden in Westminster following closure as a result of the Burial Acts, in this case due to the intervention of Octavia Hill.

Visitor Facilities

The site is open from 8am - dusk.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The site is open from 8am - dusk.

Directions

Tube: Covent Garden (Piccadilly), Leicester Square (Northern, Piccadilly), Temple (District & Circle). Bus: 1, 59, 68, 171, 188, 243
References

Contributors

  • London Parks and Gardens Trust